Mary Immaculate Secondary School

History of the School

Brief School History

The school began in 1949 as a girls’ school under the Trusteeship of the Sisters of Mercy. It prepared students for the Intermediate and Leaving Certificate examinations over a five-year cycle. The school took its first intake of boys in 1955. In 1993, a lay principal was appointed. In 1994, a six-year cycle was added with the introduction of the Transition Year Programme. In the same year the school was designated Disadvantage under the Disadvantage Area Scheme. In 1997, the first Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) students were enrolled. In 2002, the school offered the part-time programme Back to Education Initiative (BTEI) and in subsequent years FETAC Level 5 and 6 commenced.

In early October 2007, Mary Immaculate Secondary School came under the trusteeship of CEIST – Catholic Education, an Irish Schools Trust thus providing a new moral and legal trustee framework enabling the school to continue to offer post – primary Catholic education into the future as a viable option and as an integral part of the Irish school system.

In the summer of 2008 the Sisters of Mercy gifted their convent building to Mary Immaculate Secondary School. The convent building, formerly known as Tivoli House, was refurbished and now is home to classrooms, computer rooms, administration office, principal’s office, meeting rooms, and comms room.

Sep
29 2022
JCT Teacher Training Day
Oct
03 2022
Teacher Training Day - No School for Second Level Students
Oct
13 2022
Open Evening for Incoming First Years 2023
Oct
31 2022
October Mid Term Break
Dec
22 2022
Christmas Holidays
Enquire
Contact
Mary Immaculate Secondary School,
Lisdoonvarna,
Co. Clare,
Ireland

065 707 4266


Ceist- Catholic Education, an Irish schools trust
Location
© 2022 Mary Immaculate Secondary School